I’m beginning to think that some of the best bites on cruise ships are at the walk-up restaurants. And the ones on Carnival are no exception. Take Guy Fieri’s restaurant on almost all Carnival ships, for example. One bite and you’re hooked, with or without the meat patty.
Guy Fieri Straight-Up Burger Recipe
But for Carnival Carnivores, the patty with all the fix-ins is a real craving. I even broke down and ordered a burger with meat just to try it and it wasn’t easy to leave some of it on the plate. In fact, the person I was cruising with had no problem chowing down my leftover burger.
For me, it was the Donkey Sauce. For almost everyone else, it’s the Straight-up Burger with Pig Patty that lingers in their minds when the cruise is over.
To the rescue! Here’s the authentic recipe to re-create at home, until you’re back on board again.
Here’s Guy’s Straight-up with a Pig Patty burger to recreate that mouth-watering hamburger at home. Plus, Donkey Sauce and bacon. You can find a list of Carnival ships with Guy’s Burger Joint eatery at the end of the recipe.
Guy Fieri's Straight-Up with a Pig Patty Burger
- 2 heads garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 12 ounces thinly sliced applewood smoked bacon
- 32 ounces ground beef (80/20 blend)
- 2 ounces Mornay Sauce recipe follows
- 8 slices yellow American or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth mix with 2 tbsp water
- 4 soft, brioche hamburger buns cut in half
- Donkey Sauce for serving recipe follows
- 1 Kosher dill pickle finely sliced
- 1/2 Vidalia onion very finely sliced
- 1 heirloom tomato finely sliced
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce finely sliced
Mornay Sauce S.M.C (Super Melty Cheese)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk warmed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 3 ounces yellow America cheese grated
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic
- 1 tsp regular yellow mustard
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 tsp kosher salt
- 4 pinches ground black pepper
- Special equipment: brick covered with aluminum foil.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees
- Roast Garlic: Cut off the top third of the garlic head to expose cloves. Place onto a piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold foil to cover then place into oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, discard husks and mash.
- Make Garlic Butter: Mix 1 teaspoon of the roasted garlic with room temperature butter. Season with salt. Set aside in the fridge to slightly firm up.
- Make Pig Patties: Set a large pot of cold water over high heat and add the bacon. Bring to a boil and cook until the bacon is very tender and almost falling apart, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Drain and set aside to cool. Set a cast-iron pan over high heat. Divide the bacon into 4 even portions and form into a patty. Place each on the grill. Press down with a foil-covered brick to squash the bacon flat. Cook until golden and very crispy – about 4 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Make SMC Sauce: In a medium saucepan, add the butter and set over medium heat. Allow the butter to melt, then sprinkle with the flour and stir with a whisk. Cook over low heat until the butter and flour combine into a mixture, like wet sand. Once combined, stir for 1 to 2 minutes to cook the flour (but without adding color). Pour in the milk slowly, whisking to combine. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens up, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the salt, nutmeg and cheese and stir until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside and keep warm until ready to use. Yield: 1 cup.
- Make Donkey Sauce: Mix mayonnaise, roasted garlic, mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper together until smooth. Yield: about 1 cup.
- Make Burgers: Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions (8 ounces each) and form into 4 tight balls. Season all over with salt. Place in pan (which still has some of the bacon fat on it) and allow to brown for 1 minute. Then flatten with a strong, flat metal spatula – press down with a foil-covered brick on top of it, as well. Flatten to approximately 1/3-inch thickness and continue to press down with the spatula as it cooks. Cook until the burgers develop a crust on the first side, 1 1/2 minutes. Flip over and cook on the second side to develop a crust on that side, 1 minute. Add 2 ounces SMC Sauce and top with a slice of cheese. Add a splash of the chicken stock and water mixture to the pan and immediately place a dome lid over the top of the burger to trap the steam. Allow to cook for 1 minute and allow cheese to melt then remove dome and set burger aside. Brush the cut sides of the buns lightly with the garlic butter. Toast the buns in the pan until golden, about 30 seconds on each side.
- To assemble: Smear the Donkey Sauce on the cut side of both bun halves. Layer the base with pickle slices and onions. Top with the hamburger patty. Top with a bacon “pig patty” and SMC Sauce. Top with tomato slices and lettuce. Place the top half of the bun on top.
Carnival ships where you’ll find Guy’s Burger Joint
Carnival Breeze, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Dream, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Elation, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Legend, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Magic, Carnival Panorama, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Pride, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Spirit, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Valor, Carnival Victory, Carnival Vista. Coming soon to: Carnival Radiance, Mardi Gras and Carnival Miracle.
PIN THIS AND SAVE FOR LATER!