It’s Summer in the City for the Carnival Sunshine
Carnival Sunshine will leave Port Canaveral for one last cruise on April 29, 2016 and then begin cruising from New York City on June 20, 2016. From the Big Apple, the Carnival Sunshine will offer 20 cruises departing between June and October that range from 2- to 10-night voyages. The Carnival Sunshine is the first in the Carnival fleet to be outfitted with all of the Funship 2.0 upgrades and innovations.
Before arriving in NYC, the Carnival Sunshine will offer a 4-, 5- and 10-night cruise from Charleston, NC and then up to Norfolk, VA for a series of short cruises in June and then onto New York City.
When the weather turns cold, Carnival Sunshine will return to its homeport at Port Canaveral, Fla., and resume the schedule of 5- to 8-night Caribbean voyages from the Space Coast beginning in November 2016.
I was lucky to be onboard the Carnival Sunshine when the ship first arrived at Port Canaveral last year. Among some of my favorite spots was the adults-only Serenity area with its own pool.
Probably the best Asian meal I’ve had in a long time was at JiJi Asian Kitchen.
I don’t do water parks but it was fun to watch everyone getting soaked at the WaterWorks aqua park. Nor did I try the SportSquare outdoor recreation area with a suspended ropes course.
All of this plus interior upgrades to the tune of $155 million.
“Carnival Sunshine has an extraordinary array of guest features and facilities and will provide consumers and our valued travel agent partners with a wide range of itinerary choices from these highly attractive East Coast homeports,” said Christine Duffy, Carnival’s president.
Here’s a rundown on the Carnival Sunshine’s new 2016 schedule:
Cruises from New York City
· Two-day cruises departing June 18 and Oct. 8, 2016
· Four-day cruises to Saint John departing June 30 and July 28, 2016
· Five-day sailings to Saint John and Halifax departing June 20 and 25 and Oct. 10, 2016
· Seven-day Canada/New England cruises to Boston, Portland, Saint John and Halifax departing Sept. 3, 10, 17 and 24 and Oct. 15, 2016
· Seven-day Bermuda cruise featuring a three-day stay in King’s Wharf departing Oct. 1
· Eight-day Exotic eastern Caribbean voyages to San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk departing July 4 and 20 and Aug. 17, 2016
· Eight-day Exotic eastern Caribbean voyages to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau or Amber Cove (Dominican Republic) departing July 12 and Aug. 1 and 9, 2016
· Nine-day Carnival Journeys voyage departing Aug. 25 and featuring San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Grand Turk
Cruises from Charleston
· Two-day cruise departing Nov. 11, 2016
· Four-day voyage to Nassau departing May 26, 2016
· Five-day Bahamas cruises to Nassau and Freeport departing May 21 and Nov. 6, 2016
· 10-day Carnival Journeys cruise departing May 30, 2016 and featuring St. Thomas, Antigua, Martinique, St. Kitts and San Juan
Cruises from Norfolk
· Two-day cruises departing June 10 and Oct. 28
· Five-day voyage to Nassau and Freeport June 12
· Five-day Bermuda cruise overnighting in King’s Wharf Oct. 23
· Six-day Bahamas cruise to Nassau, the private Bahamian island of Half Moon Cay and Freeport departing Oct. 30
Cruises from Port Canaveral
· Five-day cruises to Freeport, Nassau and Half Moon Cay departing Nov. 14, 2016, Jan. 8, Feb. 19 and April 2 and 23, 2017
· Five-day cruises to Amber Cove and Grand Turk departing Dec. 26, 2016, Jan. 19 and March 12, 2017
· Seven-day eastern Caribbean sailings to Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk departing Nov. 19 and Dec. 3, 2016
· Seven-day western Caribbean cruise to Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel departing Nov. 26, 2016
· Eight-day southern Caribbean cruises visiting Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk departing Dec. 31, 2016, Jan. 21, March 4 and 25, and April 28, 2017
· Eight-day southern Caribbean voyages to Aruba, Bonaire and Grand Turk departing Dec. 10, 2016, Feb. 3 and April 15, 2017
· Eight-day eastern Caribbean cruises to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten departing Dec. 18, 2016, Jan. 13, Feb. 11 and 24, March 17 and April 7, 2017
· Nine-day Carnival Journeys voyage visiting St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Maarten departing April 29, 2016
More longer cruises
Three Carnival Sunshine voyages – the nine-day cruise departing Port Canaveral April 29, 2016, the 10-day cruise departing May 30, 2016 from Charleston and the nine-day voyage departing Aug. 25, 2016 from New York – are part of the line’s recently announced Carnival Journeys series that feature exceptional ports and unique on-board experiences showcasing local cuisine, entertainment and cultural opportunities. Enrichment seminars focusing on photography, cooking, arts and crafts, social media and celestial navigation, along with a 1980s-themed “Throwback Sea Day” and question and answer sessions with shipboard personnel, will also be offered.
Carnival Sunshine will operate three previously announced Carnival Journeys adventures in 2015-16 – an 11-day voyage departing Port Canaveral Nov. 28, 2015, a 10-day cruise departing San Juan Dec. 9, 2015, and a 13-day voyage departing Port Canaveral Feb. 21, 2016. The six Carnival Journeys cruises operated by Carnival Sunshine are the most of any Carnival ship.
I hope to try one of the longer cruises…more time to spend at JiJi Asian and Guy Fieri’s Burger Joint!
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the world on waves and wheels, collecting recipes along the way. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Take a breath…stop for a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.