Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Viking River Cruise fans take note: there’s a new Viking River ship, Viking Ra. Viking River recently bought another river ship (rather than build one from scratch) and completely gutted it down to the steel frame and totally rebuilt it to Viking River standards.
With a name like Viking Ra, for the Egyptian sun god Ra, you can expect a spectacular new ship for the Nile that reflects its namesake.
Named not only for the Egyptian sun god, the name Ra also invokes the memory of famed Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl, who christened his ocean-going papyrus-reed boats Ra and Ra II.
The new Viking Ra is an all-suite, 48-passenger, state-of-the art ship with Viking’s signature Scandinavian design. Guests will also notice local influences like traditional geometric Arabic patterns and terrazzo tile floors.
Viking Ra sets out on the Nile River in Spring 2018 offering extended cruise tour packages.
Highlights of the Viking Ra include:
- Veranda Suites are 291 sq ft, feature two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom, and have two flat-panel TVs
- Suites are 291 sq ft, feature two rooms–each with a large picture window, and have two flat-panel TVs
- All suites have hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration’
- Sun Deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting areas
- Pool and two JacuzzisThe Lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling windows and glass doors that lead to an open air Aquavit terrace for panoramic views
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Spa and massage services
- Complimentary wireless Internet service
- Laundry service
Viking Ra will offer a 12-day Egypt itinerary that begins with a three-night stay in Cairo. Guests can sign up for tours that include a visit to the Great Pyramids of Giza, the Grand Egyptian Museum and the Mosque of Muhammad Ali.
After the Cairo excursions, guests fly to Luxor to view the Temples of Luxor and Karnak. Then they’ll board Viking Ra for a seven-night round-trip cruise on the Nile from Luxor to Aswan.
Shore excursions during the cruise include a trip to the Valley of the Queens and a visit to the tomb of Nefertari, wife of Ramses II. Guests will also pay a visit to an elementary school in a Nubian village. Visits to several noted temples are also included.
This new cruise tour, Pharoahs and Pyramids, then returns to Cairo for one last night before the tour ends. In total, there are 12 days, 11 guided shore excursions and one country included on this new itinerary.