I’m here to help. Or so I thought. After someone read my How to Get To Your Cruise Port by Amtrak article, she emailed me for directions from Amtrak (not sure which station) to Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne New Jersey. I was at a loss.
Twice (two cruises) I’ve made the run from Amtrak to Bayonne. Both times I went from Amtrak Newark Penn station by taxi to Bayonne. I had no idea where I was going and cost over $50. This was pre-Uber and pre-Lyft. Now both companies service Cape Liberty and for a lot less.
Since Cape Liberty is mainly used by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity plus a sprinkling of Azamara, TUI Cruises and Viking Ocean, there’s not a lot of how-to information available. Especially if you travel by Amtrak. I had to dig through four seemingly buried links on Royal Caribbean’s website until I finally found some info but it didn’t include Amtrak. No wonder this woman emailed me! I’d have given up, too.
Here’s what you need to know to go from Penn Station in Newark, New Jersey (NOT Penn Station in New York City!) to Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne.
To go from Amtrak in Newark to Cape Liberty in Bayonne, there are a handful of options. There’s the aforementioned Uber and Lyft. The distance is about 10 miles and under 30 minutes from Newark Penn station to Cape Liberty cruise port.
Here’s Uber’s estimator:
And the Lyft estimator:
- Line: $14 – shared, 1-2 seats
- Lyft: $15-22, 4 seats
- Plus: $23-31, 6 seats
- Premier: $28-39, 4 seats, high-end
- Lux: $64-76, 4 seats, black car
- Lux SUV: $82-96, 6 seats, black car
And there are the taxis.
Expect to pay in $50 plus or minus a little, plus toll (a few dollars).
- Take the PATH Rapid Transit System train from Manhattan to Jersey City or Hoboken.
- Outside the PATH Station, take the NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to Bayonne.
- Get off at the 34th Street Station in Bayonne.
- You are now directly across Route 440 from the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, which includes the Cape Liberty Cruise Port.
- Call one of the three Bayonne taxi cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about two miles east of the Light Rail line.
For more information:
Port of Cape Liberty Cruise , NJ (NY Harbor)
Bayonne, NJ (Cape Liberty Cruise Port)
4 Port Terminal Boulevard
Bayonne, N.J. 07002-5038
Port of Cape Liberty website
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com and self-appointed “expert” on cruises, trains and solo travel. By sharing news and reviews plus my cruise and travel experiences, I hope to entertain, inform and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Be sure to enjoy a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.