The new American Duchess paddlewheeler was built from the hull up in Morgan City, Louisiana. Owned and operated by the American Queen Steamboat Company, the American Duchess recently joined the U.S.-flagged fleet of the American Queen and American Empress. This is the third vessel of the riverboat company.
The 166-guest American Duchess along with the American Queen sail the mighty Mississippi and her tributaries. New for the line, the American Duchess will offer overnight stays in port including the heart of Nashville as well as shorter roundtrip itineraries from the “Music City” and New Orleans. For added convenience, guests can also enjoy departures from Chicago (Ottawa, Il.) for the first time. Go Cubbies!
The American Duchess is the first all-suite paddlewheeler on U.S. rivers, a floating, intimate masterpiece that can carry up to 166 guests through America’s heartland. The paddlewheeler, created from a 1995 hull, was completely reconstructed to become one of the most luxurious river cruising vessels in the country, featuring single-seating main dining and entertainment venues, soaring ceilings, and all of the features guests have come to expect on other American Queen Steamboat Company cruises.
Her suites range from 180 sq. ft to 550 sq. ft., allowing guests to stay in some of the largest accommodations on the rivers. Unique to the American Duchess are her spacious Loft Suites, that measure at 550 sq. ft.. The lower level features a full bathroom, small dining area, a beautiful lounge section furnished with a queen sofa-bed and desk area, along with sliding doors to access a private balcony. The loft area upstairs is a tranquil retreat with its semi-private bedroom, a full bathroom and gracious closet space.
Featuring a single-seating schedule in the beautiful Grand Dining Room, dining onboard is an experience. Enjoy 5-star cuisine that blends local flavors and fine culinary traditions. A more casual atmosphere is offered at The River Club and Terrace, which can host over 80 guests who wish to dine at their own pace.
Combining the best of the old and the new, this beautiful lady of the river epitomizes the grace and grandeur that has made River Cruising a cherished American tradition for more than two centuries. One voyage and you’ll see why.
Spacious luxury awaits aboard the floating masterpiece, the American Duchess. As the first all-suite paddlewheeler in the US, the riverboat offers guests large accommodations, vaulted ceilings, fine dining options, beautiful decks for strolling and luxury amenities. Embark in one of the river cruise ship’s airy suites, including the Loft Suites that feature two stories of pure luxury: a full bathroom, small dining area, beautiful lounge with a queen sofa-bed and desk area, a private balcony and an upstairs loft area. Stop by the Grand Dining Room or The River Club & Terrace for delicious and fresh fine dining options, and enjoy Broadway caliber entertainment each night. Let our courteous staff and luxury furnishings welcome you aboard the American Duchess.
American Queen Steamboat Company is strongly committed to preserving the marine environment and continually strives to do our part in keeping America’s waterways clean.
- First all-suite U.S. Paddlewheeler
- Private Veranda Suites to Loft and Owner’s Suites
range from 240 to 550 sq. ft.
- Included boutique hotel stay before most voyages
(includes breakfast, taxes, porterage and vessel transfer )
- Single-seating dining and entertainment venues
- Regionally inspired, epicurean cuisine tailored from the finest, local ingredients
- Complimentary wine and beer with dinner
- Complimentary cappuccino, espresso, bottled water and soft drinks throughout your voyage
- Included shore excursions in every port of call
- Our own dedicated fleet of deluxe motorcoaches
- Broadway-caliber entertainment each evening and spotlight guest performances
- Daily lectures by the Riverlorian, our resident history and culture expert
- Gracious service from a friendly, all-American staff
- The Passenger Vessel Association recognizes American Queen Steamboat Company as a member of its Green WATERS Program for the vessel’s dedication and commitment to a cleaner, greener marine environment.
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the world on waves and wheels. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Take a breath… stop for a meal and a glass of wine along the way.