If you were a fan of the Golden Girls during the 1980s – 90s, this might be the cruise for you. On February 4, 2020, the Golden Girls at Sea themed cruise departs from Miami (where Dorothy, Blanche, Rose and Sophia lived) on a five-night cruise. The cruise takes place aboard the Celebrity Infinity, and port visits include a day in Key West and Cozumel.
The Golden Girls hit TV show ran from 1985 to 1992 and for over two decades, has gained quite a loyal following. In case you need a refresher before the cruise, the series revolved around four best friends: Dorothy, Dorothy’s mom Sophia, Rose and Blanche. Each had their own unique personality.
Remembering the Golden Girls
Dorothy was sarcastic with a really dry sense of humor. Her mother, handbag-carrying Sophia, was a wise-cracker and avid complainer. Rose was the ditzy and naive farm girl from St. Olaf, Minnesota. Last but not least was Blanche. With her Louisiana drawl and her bar-fly tendencies, she provided the bad girl contrast to Rose’s innocence. Reruns can be seen on TVLand and other stations.
Read next: What to do in Cozumel if you love to cook
If you’re interested in going on the Golden Girls cruise, you can expect some wild and crazy events. According to event organizer, Flip Phone Events, fans activities include:
- Caftan sail away party, complete with Golden Girls’ favorite dessert, cheesecake
- A musical Golden Girls celebration with The Golden Gays NYC
- Golden Girls Forever panel discussion with Jim Colucci (Author of Golden Girls Forever) and Stan Zimmerman (writer of Golden Girls)
- Blanche’s Rusty Anchor Karaoke party
- Golden Girls trivia
- Shady Pines Craft Corner – Rose’s former retirement home
- Key West Golden Girls Bar Crawl
- Costume contest and talent show
- One Night in St. Olaf Dance Party with a game of Ugel and Flugel
- Dorothy’s Bingo
The cost for the cruise begins at about $1,000 per person, based on double occupancy. You must book your cruise through Flip Phone Events in order to participate in the fan events and activities.
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com and self-appointed “expert” on cruises, trains and solo travel. By sharing news and reviews plus my cruise and travel experiences, I hope to entertain, inform and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Be sure to enjoy a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.