It’s a little over a month now since the new American Duchess began cruising the Mississippi River. As the first all-suite paddlewheeler in the US, the 166-passenger American Duchess features large staterooms, vaulted ceilings, fine dining options, beautiful outdoor decks for strolling and upscale amenities.
Built from the hull up in Morgan City, Louisiana, American Duchess is owned and operated by the American Queen Steamboat Company. In addition to American Duchess, AQSC also owns two more U.S.-flagged paddlewheeters; American Queen and American Empress.
Both American Duchess and American Queen ply the mighty Mississippi and tributaries. American Duchess offers overnight stays in Nashville as well as shorter roundtrip itineraries from the “Music City” and New Orleans. For added convenience, guests can also enjoy departures from Chicago (Ottawa, Il.) for the first time. Go Cubbies!
As with most river cruises, there’s single-seating in the main dining room. For those who prefer more casual dining atmosphere, the River Club and Terrace is available and seats about 80 guests who wish to dine at their own pace.
More Details on an American Duchess cruise
- Included hotel stay before most voyages with includes breakfast, taxes, porterage and vessel transfer
- Regionally inspired, epicurean cuisine tailored from the finest, local ingredients
- Complimentary wine and beer with dinner
- Complimentary cappuccino, espresso, bottled water and soft drinks throughout your voyage
- Included shore excursions in every port of call
- Dedicated fleet of deluxe motorcoaches
- Entertainment each evening
- Daily lectures by the Riverlorian
- All American staff
If you’ve never cruised on the Mississippi (or its tributaries) you’ll be astonished when you see, learn and actually experience American history and how the USA grew up around this incredible river.
Learn more about American Duchess
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com and self-appointed “expert” on cruises, trains and solo travel. By sharing news and reviews plus my cruise and travel experiences, I hope to entertain, inform and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Be sure to enjoy a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.