Much more than the usual ship refurbishment, Windstar Cruises’ Star Legend just completed a massive transformation. Following completion of a multimillion dollar renovation project, Windstar Cruises’ President officially received a “new” Star Legend from the shipyard in Palermo, Sicily.
Part of Windstar’s $250 million Star Plus Initiative, Star Legend’s transformation included the insertion of a middle section into the ship. This added 50 additional suites that would allow the ship to accommodate 312 guests. Renovations happened throughout the ship from dining to fitness and intensified sanitation ability.
Star Legend Completes Transformation and Expansion
Star Legend is the second of Windstar Cruises’ three small ships to undergo the transformation at the Italian shipyard. Star Breeze was the first ship to be completed and Star Pride is scheduled to complete its transformation this summer.
“We’re proud to see Star Legend emerge from this major project with all initial plans completed,” said Prelog. “I am so thankful to Fincantieri for their great partnership on this complicated and innovative project. This is the ship I began my seagoing career on 20 plus years ago and to see it today like a new ship is more than exciting for me. I am blown away.”
Star Legend and all Star Class Transformations Include:
- Two new restaurants: Star Grill by Steven Raichlen, an outdoor barbecue concept, and Cuadro 44 by Michelin chef Anthony Sasso, a Spanish small plates restaurant
- Refurbished and enlarged spa and fitness center: The workout equipment is made by Technogym, an Italian company known for its cutting-edge designs. The spa menu features regional spa treatments and destination-themed therapies as part of the World Spa by Windstar program
- Larger pool and hot tub on top deck: The yacht now has a larger pool and hot tub on an elevated top deck with expanded outdoor deck areas.
- Fifty new 277-square feet suites: New suite categories were added with open floor plans plus two brand-new, larger Owner’s Suites. These suites can combine to create up to a three-bedroom, two-balcony suite with more than 1,300 square feet, unique to the cruise industry.
- New bathrooms: Who doesn’t love a brand new bathroom! Every suite on board features all-new bathrooms.
- New mid-ship elevator
- Two new 90-passenger tenders to use at ports where the ship needs to anchor.
- Increased Health and safety renovations and sanitation to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Health and Safety Measures
The transformation also includes new health and safety renovations that were added to the project when COVID-19 impacted the cruise industry in 2020. Windstar’s Beyond Ordinary Care program is a multi-layered strategy implementing key hospital-grade elements. HEPA filters and UV-C ultraviolet germicidal irradiation are used to filter and disinfect the air. Electrostatic sprayers were added to sanitize all surfaces throughout the yacht.
In addition, Windstar Cruises requires proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination for all guests who plan to sail aboard Windstar’s yachts.
“Many thanks to the team here in Palermo for their hard work and diligence on a long, complicated project,” said John Gunner, Windstar’s vice president of expansion projects. “It was an amazing process to get the ship to where she is now; and we have one more to go.”
Star Legend begins cruising in Northern Europe on Sept 4, 2021 features their Belles of the British Isles itinerary sailing roundtrip from London.
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the USA and Europe on land and sea. Always looking for new vistas, local food and wine. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to savor and travel the world without flying.