The 2018 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards top honors goes to Viking for luxury ocean and river categories. This is the second consecutive year that Viking has received more awards from Cruise Critic than any other ocean or river cruise line.
In the luxury category, which includes Best New Luxury Ship, Best Luxury Value for Money and Best Spa, Viking took home all three awards.
For the river cruise category, Viking scored again with two honors: Best for First-Timers and Best Itineraries.
Here’s a recap of Cruise Critic’s comments on each of the winning categories:
- Best Value for Money – Luxury: “Viking knows what its guests value, and it delivers in every way. Cruises on Viking include many items you’d pay extra for on other [ocean] cruise lines: shore excursions, self-service laundry, some drinks and access to the thermal spa among them. Viking’s no-nickel-and-diming attitude means its passengers rarely have to pull out their wallets once onboard. And all this comes on beautifully appointed ships with spacious, modern cabins.”
- Best New Luxury Ship – Viking Orion: “Viking Orion’s most innovative new feature is its breathtaking planetarium, where passengers are dazzled by 3D films, astronomy lectures and stargazing. But it’s not just the planetarium that wows. Viking Orion is thoughtfully designed down to the last detail, with beautiful Scandinavian-inspired decor, perfect staterooms and a dreamy spa that includes the best thermal suite at sea.”
- Best Spa – Luxury: “Viking’s impeccable thermal spa [onboard its ocean ships] includes everything you’d desire: a thalassotherapy pool, a series of hot and cold treatments, ceramic lounge chairs and built-in tranquility. Even better, whereas most cruise lines charge a premium for thermal spa time, Viking has bucked the trend, making access complimentary. The cruise line has smartly partnered with LivNordic, providing passengers with innovative, high-quality treatments. Viking sets the bar sky-high for cruise ship spas.”
- Best for First-Timers – River: “River cruising newbies don’t have to look further than Viking River Cruises. The line has a vast fleet of Longships and offers a smart package of inclusions, such as beer and wine at lunch and dinner, a shore excursion at each port, onboard enrichment sessions, free Wi-Fi and alternative terrace dining. Frequent air specials mean this might be the easiest vacation you ever book.”
- Best Itineraries – River: “Take one river cruise and you’ll be hooked. Viking makes it easy to sail throughout the world – from Vietnam and China, to Russia, Ukraine and most European rivers, Viking offers consistency and interesting programming on ships that are brand new.”
Read next: My Viking River cruise on the Seine to Normandie Beaches