Princess Cruises took delivery of Sky Princess from Italian shipbuilder, Fincantieri. The official ceremony took place at the shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. Sky Princess is their first ship designed from the ground up to be a Princess MedallionClass ship. The 143,700-ton, 3,660-guest Sky Princess is the fourth in Princess Cruises’ Royal-Class of ships.
Sky Princess, purpose-built as a Princess MedallionClass™ ship, features the complimentary OceanMedallion™ wearable device. MedallionClass cruises were designed to deliver a new level of service and create a vacation that is more seamless, effortless and personalized.
“We wish to extend our sincere gratitude to our long-time shipbuilding partner Fincantieri who delivered Sky Princess to us today,” said Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises. “As our new flagship in the fleet, Sky Princess represents the absolute best Princess Cruises has to offer our guests by connecting them with what matters most, unique destinations, loved ones, and new friends, while enjoying all the state-of the-art experiences in comfort and style.”
Considered a breakthrough in the cruise industry, the OceanMedallion wearable device is complimentary for all guests and delivers personalized service through enhanced guest-crew interactions and enables interactive entertainment.
Princess MedallionClass technology advantages include:
- Family and Friends Locator – Find travel companions and get directional ship information.
- Expedited Arrival – If you uploaded your travel documents (i.e. passports) to your profile before boarding, you’ll have an expedited check-in process.
- On-Demand Services – Food, beverage, retail orders and service can be delivered to your location. Use smart devices and stateroom TVs to order drinks, food and retail items like sunscreen and have them delivered to you anywhere on board.
More Princess MedallionClass experiences:
- Keyless stateroom entry.
- Interactive voyage timeline: Scroll through all on board activities during your voyage and bookmark activities of interest. You can also view the itineraries up to 60 days in advance.
- Wager-based gaming: On smart devices and on select portals via Ocean Casino, guests can wager real money on games including slots, poker, bingo, roulette, keno and lottery from anywhere on board.
- Interactive game play: On portals located around the ship and on smart devices PlayOcean™ offers interactive games, a digital scavenger hunt, customizable avatars and more.
Sky Princess began her inaugural season in Europe with a seven-day Mediterranean & Adriatic maiden voyage from Athens to Barcelona on Oct. 20, 2019. The ship will sail a series of Mediterranean voyages before arriving into Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 1, 2019, for a season of Caribbean cruises.
Sky Princess will debut new luxurious Sky Suites, with expansive views from the largest balconies at sea. Two new entertainment experiences will also debut on Sky Princess. Phantom Bridge, a digital and physical immersive escape room, and Take 5, the only jazz theater at sea.
The Princess Cruises launches Enchanted Princess in June 2020, Discovery Princess in November 2021 and two yet unnamed ships in 2023 and 2025.
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the world on waves and wheels, collecting recipes along the way. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Take a breath…stop for a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.