Only 42 days until Nieuw Statendam cruises begin from Ft. Lauderdale
Holland America’s Nieuw Statendam officially joins the fleet in just 22 days…on December 1, 2018 before crossing the Atlantic to Ft. Lauderdale. To celebrate this major event, Holland America just released this list of fun facts about Nieuw Statendam that range from historic to record-breaking to just plain funny factoids.
If you’re curious about how many songs will be performed in one year at their new Rolling Stone Rock Room or how many pounds of pasta will be prepared in Canaletto…
Read on for 30 fun facts!
- Nieuw Statendam will visit more than 75 ports during her first year in service.
- Nieuw Statendam‘s stunning interiors were designed by internationally acclaimed hospitality designer Adam D. Tihany and Bjørn Storbraaten, one of the world’s leading architects working in the cruise industry.
- In its first year, Nieuw Statendam will sail 92,723 nautical miles, more than four times around the globe.
- The ship’s dedication ceremony will be held at a private event in Fort Lauderdale, Florida Feb. 2, 2019.
- Twelve Seattle-based businesses are key partners in the building, launch and operation of Nieuw Statendam, which is important to Holland America Line as Seattle’s hometown cruise line.
- Artists from 150 different countries are represented in Nieuw Statendam‘s artwork.
- More than 150 bottles of red wine will be made each month at BLEND, the first purpose-built wine blending venue at sea.
- At 975 feet in length, Nieuw Statendam is a long as 12 blue whales.
- Captain Sybe de Boer has been master of Statendam, Zaandam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Eurodam and served on Maasdam, Ryndam, Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam.
- During a seven-day cruise, two hundred pounds of pasta will be prepared at Canaletto.
- It would take 7,067 standard bottles of Champagne to fill Nieuw Statendam‘s Lido Pool.
- On a weeklong voyage, 9,331 towel animals will be created.
- In the first year, 42,760 pounds of lobster will be served.
- There are 1,920 works of art on board.
- On a seven-day cruise, 4,200 cups of coffee will be served.
- The hull of Nieuw Statendam is made up of 720 individual blocks.
- In Lido Market on a weeklong cruise, 5,600 freshly made, personalized salads will be prepared at Wild Harvest.
- The ship’s crew members represent 33 countries.
- On a seven-day cruise, more than 42,000 eggs will be used.
- More than 9,360 songs will be performed in Rolling Stone Rock Room during the first year.
- Guests will indulge in 11,440 massages during the first year.
- Pinnacle Grill will serve 600 pounds of Double R Ranch Beef during a seven-day cruise.
- Nearly 20,000 guests will attend a Digital Workshop powered by Windows class in the first year.
- During a seven-day cruise, 3,000 burgers will be served at Dive-In.
- Seventy performers will grace the stages of Music Walk during the first year.
- Each cruise will offer 18 different flavors of gelato that are made on board every sailing.
- In the first year, 260 live America’s Test Kitchen shows will help our guests master their home kitchens.
- Grand Dutch Café will serve 1,250 beers on a seven-day cruise.
- New York Deli & Pizza will serve up 350 breakfast sandwiches on a weeklong cruise.
- Nieuw Statendam is a sister-ship to Koningsdam, which was delivered in April 2016.
Nieuw Statendam departs on its first 14-day voyage from Civitavecchia, Rome Italy to Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 5, 2018. For winter 2018-2019, the ship cruises the Caribbean and returns to Europe for summer cruises in the Mediterranean and Norway.
The 2,666-guest Nieuw Statendam is the second ship in their Pinnacle Class, preceded by Koningsdam in 2016. Holland America Line’s first ship in the fleet to be named Statendam began sailing in 1989. Nieuw Statendam will be the sixth ship in the company’s history to carry the name. As you might guess, Nieuw translates to “new” in English and the rest is simply Statendam to commemorate the cruise line’s past, present and future.