A few years ago, Cunard Line changed the country where their three ships were registered. Originally in the United Kingdom, Cunard’s fleet is now registered in Bermuda. Because Bermuda’s Supreme Court now allows same-sex marriages, Cunard has added same-sex weddings at sea to their onboard list of celebration events and recently held its first same-sex wedding event aboard their ship.
The ruling means that Cunard, which has offered weddings on its ships for the past five years and has married over 250 couples, is one of the first British cruise lines to be able to conduct legal ceremonies for same-sex weddings sea.
“Cunard is proud to become among the first cruise lines to offer same-sex marriages at sea,” said Josh Leibowitz, senior vice president, Cunard North America. “Cunard has brought people together through travel for over 175 years, and we’re proud to mark another milestone in our company’s history as we welcome our first gay marriage booking and many other marriages to come.”
Wedding ceremonies will be performed by the ship’s Captain when possible and the marriage license will be issued by Bermuda.
Same-sex couples can now purchase a Cunard Wedding at Sea package, which includes:
- A romantic ceremony at sea conducted by the Captain*
- Wedding ceremony venue with floral arrangements
- Traditional wedding music
- Services of the on-board Wedding Coordinator
- Attendance of a professional photographer at the ceremony
- Commemorative wedding certificate
- An official copy of the marriage certificate
- The cost of the license fees
- A bottle of Champagne in the cabin on arrival
- Champagne for a toast after the ceremony
- Invitations and thank you notes
- Wedding outfit pressing service
Ready to tie the knot? Your travel agent can set everything up and you will work with an onboard wedding planner. Also visit Cunard for more information.
*If the Captain is unable to conduct the ceremony, the Deputy Captain will be asked to conduct on their behalf.
READ ABOUT what a transatlantic crossing is like aboard Queen Mary 2
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the world on waves and wheels, collecting recipes along the way. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Take a breath…stop for a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.