The year 2012 is shaping up to be a year of new ships and new itineraries. The latest itinerary news comes from Windstar Cruises. With three luxury sailing yachts in their fleet, Windstar Cruises has added four convenient seven night round-trip Rome itineraries beginning in April 2012. All three ships, the Wind Surf, Wind Star and Wind Spirit will each have an opportunity to sail the new Islands of Italy cruise.
The new Islands of Italy itinerary will bring guests closer to experiencing the local flavor of the smaller and less visited islands. Included on the itineraries are the island of Ischia, a visit to the ancient ruins of Pompeii near Sorrento, the 3,000 year old citadel area of Lipari, a sail around Stromboli Volcano and a day to explore Sardinia and the French Island of Corsica with its cafes and shops.
Islands of Italy sailings depart April 21, 28; August 4; October 6, 2012. As a featured itinerary in Windstar’s Europe Sail & Stay Packages, guests can receive two-for-one cruise fares starting from $2,199 per person, double occupancy, plus two free hotel nights in Rome, when they book an Islands of Italy voyage by February 24, 2012.
Guests can upgrade their Sail & Stay Package to a Windstar Land Package before or after their Islands of Italy voyage. The Land Package includes multi-day, private tours of top cultural and historical venues in Rome includingVenice Square, Imperial Palaces, Coliseum, Circus Maximus,Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica, and Square ofSt. Peter. A professional, English-speaking tour guide, private transportation, and tour entrance fees are also included in the package.
Shore excursions offered on Islands of Italy which can be booked in advance include:
- Ischia, Italy: Ischia Island Tour – Discover resort areas of Ischia Porto and Casamicciola, charming Lacco Ameno, seafront promenade of Forio, views of the Sant’Angelo fishing village, and the Castello Argonese.
- Lipari, Italy: Lipari Highlights – Visit a castle with mighty Spanish walls, archeological sites, theAeolianArcheologicalMuseum and view the infamous Faraglioni rocks.
- Porto Cervo, Italy: Costa Smeralda – Tour theEmeraldCoast and explore the archaeological site of Coddu Vecchiu and the small village of the Baia Sardinia.
- Porto Cervo, Italy: Costa Smeralda and Wine Tasting – Begin with wine tasting at Vigne Surrau, a vineyard located on a hillside above the sea, explore Baja Sardinia, and enjoy a guided tour of Porto Cervo.
- Porto Vecchio, France: Bonifacio Scenic Sights and Little Train – See the medieval city ofBonifaco, enjoy a ride on the Little Train to view the Citadel and Old Genoese town, and finish with a guided walk.
- Sorrento, Italy: Boat Tour to Positano – Take a private motorboat ride along the coast to Positano, once a sleepy fishing village and home to renowned artists, which feature Moorish-style houses set in luxurious gardens.
- Sorrento, Italy: Pompeii – Journey to the ruins ofPompeii, perfectly preserved since the eruption ofMt.Vesuvius in AD 79 and gain insight into lives of ancient Romans.
Source: Windstar Cruises
Photo credit: Windstar Cruises