Okay, so it’s a funny-sounding name. Spanning 126-years of maritime history, Hurtigruten is serious when it comes to new ships, protecting the environment and now, expedition cruising.
The MS Finnmarken, built in 2002 and carrying only 919 passengers will be reintroduced as a premium expedition cruise ship.
When the MS Finnmarken emerges from Hurtigruten’s most extensive redesign of any of their ships, she’ll be ready for year-round Norwegian coastline expedition cruises. The extensive refurbishment plan includes redesigning the cabins and suites, installing low-emission engines, shore-power connectivity, a hands-on Science Center and new restaurants.
MS Finnmarken new features
- Five new suites will be added on deck eight
- Modern Activity Center for enrichment activities with the Expedition team
- Four new restaurants; Aune, Fredheim, Lindstrøm and a grill restaurant on the top deck for outdoor BBQs
- Wellness Center with two treatment rooms
- Improved swimming pool, two hot tubs
- Three gym areas, two outdoor and one outward-facing sauna
- Forward observation deck
- The renovated Explorer lounge & bar
- Public areas, existing suites and cabins will be fully refurbished with Scandinavian materials such as granite, oak, and birch
- Car deck will be replaced by a launching area for Hurtigruten explorer boats and other expedition equipment
“We will transform MS Finnmarken into a fully-fledged, premium expedition cruise ship, with all the comforts, facilities, and expertise you need to create a perfect adventure,” Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam says.
Young Explorer Program
Children from 7-13 years old can join in the complimentary year-round, supervised Young Explorers Program. There will be daily on-board activities for the Young Explorers, relating to the different topics. Read more about it here.
Expedition Team on board
MS Finnmarken has her own on-board Expedition Team, and the ship will serve as a university at sea. The Expedition Team will host daily lecture programs and evening gatherings. the Expedition Team will introduce you to the uniquely Norwegian notion of ‘friluftsliv´, and encourage you take part in ‘friluftsliv´ hikes and activities during the journey.
In 2020, MS Finnmarken will return to sailing along the Norwegian coastline for Hurtigruten’s 6-, 7-, and 12-day Coastal Voyages. In 2021, the ship will explore handpicked destinations along the rugged Norwegian coastline on year-round expedition cruises.
Read next: Hurtigruten heads to Alaska in 2020
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the world on waves and wheels, collecting recipes along the way. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to travel the world without flying. Take a breath…stop for a local meal and a glass of wine along the way.