It really doesn’t seem like 50 years ago when the first Amtrak train departed from New York City to Philadelphia shortly after midnight on May 1, 1971. To commemorate the milestone event, Amtrak is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a special Amtrak 50% off Anniversary Sale.
Amtrak 50% Off Anniversary Sale Details
The reduced rates are available on coach class on all routes across the country. There’s a maximum of $50 per segment and the sale also applies to Acela Business Class. The 50% off sale is valid between April 28 – May 5 for future travel from June 2 through November 13, 2021. The fares are for one-way tickets and Acela Business Class only.
READ NEXT: How to Buy Your Amtrak Ticket
There are a few rules to follow for the 50% off sale fares.
- This offer for 50% off applies to adult rail fare.
- This offer is valid for travel on all Amtrak service nationwide plus state supported trains. The only exceptions are New Haven-Springfield Shuttle, Pacific Surfliner, Philadelphia through Pittsburg portion of the Pennsylvanian Keystone and 7000-8999 Thruways.
- Fares are subject to availability.
- No additional discounts can be applied. This rules out Senior and Military discounts on coach seats.
- This offer is valid for Coach seats only. No sleeping car, First class or non-Acela Business class upgrades permitted.
- Tickets are nonrefundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period. A 25% cancellation fee applies.
- This offer is not combinable with any other discount offer.
- Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
- Once travel has begun no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
- Other restrictions may apply.
- Space is limited, not available on all trains at all times.
“Since launching service in 1971, Amtrak has been continuously driving towards the future – setting ambitious sustainability goals, rolling out sleek new locomotives and extending access to new communities,” said Amtrak CEO Bill Flynn. “To celebrate our 50th Anniversary and to welcome travelers back to Amtrak, we are offering deeply discounted fares of $50 or less per segment across our network for travel throughout the summer and fall.”
If you haven’t experienced Amtrak yet, this might be the perfect opportunity to reserve your ride aboard America’s train. If you have any questions or want to know more about Amtrak, check out my guide to help you plan your Amtrak travel.
Amtrak recently announced it will end blocked seats in coach, seats left vacant due to the pandemic. The limit on capacity will be lifted on May 23. This change in policy will apply to Business and First Class on the Acela, and Business Class on Carolinian, Northeast Regional, Palmetto and Vermonter trains.
Also, I’ve just learned that on May 21, traditional dining will return to all six long-haul western routes! Seating in the dining cars will of course be limited due to Covid but in-room dining will be an option. No date has been given or even mentioned when traditional dining could return to the eastern routes, except for the Auto-Train. It will also return to traditional dining. More to follow.
I’m the editor and creator of CruiseMaven.com, a solo traveler cruising the USA and Europe on land and sea. Always looking for new vistas, local food and wine. I hope my articles and photos entertain, advise and inspire you to savor and travel the world without flying.